Saturday, May 17, 2008

Discovering Inner Self: A Journey from "INFP" to "ISTJ".

I think last blog was too lengthy and I had to take this, much needed time off or I can say you can not have unforgettable experince daily. Anywayz this week, thanks to my current organization, I gone through a communication training, which was more related to MBTI test and spent full day discussing/proving the out come of that test. It was good day, so thought of putting it under unforgettable experinces. No I am not going to discuss what and how test was conducted, actually this training/test make you discover about ur own personality...well person like me who is an "I" type, does it more often, but this day made me realize about the other types existing around us.
A little about MBTI first. MBTI stands for Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, it is a kind of personality test, which judges the personality rather I should say the "type" of person on the bases of following four dichotomies:
1. Where you get energy from?
2. How you take information?
3. How you make decision?
4. How your orient to outer world "way of life"?
I took this test twice actually, obviously not at the training, but after the training, I had tool with me so I gone through it again. Now any person of type "T" will think "why he had to take same test twice, may be he is low confident person and do not trust easily". So just to make things clear, I have taken this test second time, with the same mind set which I used to have when I just passed out from the college and entered into the professional life. I remember our trainer mentioning, as per the study of Myers-Briggs (who devised this tool), "type" of person rairely change after 14 yrs of age (by what time people normally acquire their actual type). After that person can lear behaviour of other types and come close to them, and in few cases they just change their preference for one or two out of four aspects of type indicator . But as always, I found my self dfying this theory. I took my second test and found except "I" rest everything else has changed in me and that too with in past 3-4 years. I was "INFP" and now I am proven case of "ISTJ"

Lets start with second dichotomy, about "information". When I was in college or before that, I was very much imaginative. It seems "Imagining/ Day dreaming" was my favourite time pass. Working on the basis of my intituion, imaginative thinking of new Ideas was way of life. I remeber designing the unusal blueprint for my Dad's shop and even its visiting cards...totally unorthodox design. Not very long time back, probably 5 year back I remember, I was given task to decide color for our new Home, and the color which I decided was rejected outrightly by experts, but I was very sure and when I got my drawing room painted with same colors, my Dad liked it so much, he decided to go with it for whole house. I was certainly of Type "N"...but here I am today declared and proved type of "S". Yes, now no more imagination, go by facts and tangible senses.

Another aspect of type was, how you make your decisions??? "F": Using your heart/feelings OR "T": Using your head/thinking??. Like a normal small city family guy, I used to be very emotional, most of the decisions were taken by heart and by what I feel is right...not only just my own feeling, I used to put my self in other's shoes and used to think how that person will feel, and considering that I used to make my most of decisions. But thanks to the metro life style and their people, they have played and crushed my feelings so much and so hard, I think there is hardly any feeling left for others. Now whatever feelings are there, they are just related to me...(I don't consider my "family" separate from me, so "me" include them as well).I give damn to other's feeling now, I never thouhght I will be so tough and heartless. I used to pretend heartless when I was in teaching profession, I used to take tough decision without considering feelings because I knew whatever decision I am making, its good for the future of the student, but I used to feel bad, low on mood after taking such decisions. But I think such decision make no affect on me. Recently I took one such decision, which I know, I would not have taken had I been the same old person. But here I am, I am no more the same person, felt bad for few days after taking that decision, not becuase of feeling of that other person, but because of my own feeling/thinking about myself. Initially felt bad about my self, because I found my self like the same carreer oriented persons with no feelings for others and whom I always hated, but some reasoning and explanation to myself helped me to get out of that. So here is "T" type person thinking perfectly fine from mind, hearts job is to feel so let him feel, but decision making is part of mind's job, so let him do that without any intervention of heart.
Now, about the type which decide the "way of life". It can be "P" or "J". "J" meant to be the organized and structured way of living and "P" meant to be live life as it comes. I remember I used to be perfect "P", my friend used to say "Lala the great always late".....never follow the schedule....do whatever whenever you want to do. I remember Dad used to say " What will this guy do in life???....when people start coming home, he leaves home" and "why on earth he comes with list of pending works at last minute??". Not only dad, I remember in my very first organization, my PL used to be very sure, he will miss his deadline/call. Typical sympotms of being a "P". But here is the latest version, too organized and disciplined, a typical case of "J". sometime I think I have become machine, which does each and every work daily at same, (ofcourse work does not include going to loo and that kind of stuff ;)). Not only just "time" another things are also kind of fixed, like what and how much to eat etc...sometime I noticed steward at cafe remember, what I am going to order and sometime i noticed receptionist at GYM saying "you ve got late today", like she was waiting for me ;)...But I still think, I become typical case of "P" when I go to my home town and I am with my family. Probably becuase I know lot of people are there for taking care of me...and I will get all works done even if I tell them at last minute of time.
All said and discussed, one thing which have not changed in me is "I" in me. I am still "I". This means I am still introvert...does not mean I do not speak to people at all, but It means I do not need energy from external people and I gain energy/thoughts from my inner-self. I think this type "I" was and is very perfect fit for me. I always said I do not need anybody in this world to succeed, me myself can do things on my own. Again like to clarify, "me" or "I" include my family, without them "me" is nothing. Friend used to be part of this "me", then I realized friends come and go as per their convenience and they may also choose not to come with you for achieving your goal, but your family will be always there for you (probably they do not have better choice), so I decided to keep friends out of this. I like to be alone, watching TV, writting Blog like this. I definitely do not need crowd of people around me....thinking I may need them in future or just to show how many contacts I have. But yes I have very few friends, they are few but like diamond...only choosen ones. They have not been choosen with the intention that I may need them in life, they are there because they have thinking like me, they are there because there should be some people who can share happiness of success and lows of failure with each other.

Anywayz it would be wrong if "I" take all the credit for discovering my own type, I should "thank" the trainer, who helped quite a lot for detecting and understanding these types. I think I will be taking this test again after 3-4 years to check where I am heading to...For now, I think "I" is very happy, after discovering about inner-self, spending so much time alone and writting this blog. Now, "I" have gained enough energy to go out and face the "E"xternal world...Let me go get some other unforgettable experience from the outer world...will be back again...till then bbye and take your care yourself...and if possible try n discover your type.

No comments: